Pages

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Learning in School


At both schools now, Agape in PaP and Loving Hearts in Mirebalais, we have separated the kids into three classes. There are around 20 kids in Agape with six teachers, and 50 kids at Mirebalais with five teachers. I like that we have split the kids so there are not as many surrounding me and I can go faster with the older ones who are picking it up. I also like that there is routine in the day. Both schools start the day by raising the flag and singing the National Anthem.  

At Agape I start with the oldest kids; 2nd through 4th graders. They have already mastered colors, letters, and how to greet each other. We have worked on numbers up to 20, I write the day of the week and date on the chalkboard in English underneath where it is written in French, and I just started animals with them. Then I move to Kindergarten and 1st graders. They know the words for the colors and can sing the alphabet song but don’t comprehend what the English word they are saying means.  After lunch and recess I work with the youngest kids; 3-5 year olds. They have the shortest attention span so try to switch up what I do when I see they are getting bored. I think they all understood numbers 1-10 this past week.

 In Mirebalais I start with the youngest kids. We have been working on the colors and I just started the alphabet. The middle and oldest kids know the alphabet now and can say 1-100 with help. This is the first year of school for a lot of the kids at Loving Hearts.

At first Carline told me what to teach the kids but now I am starting to plan what to teach next. This week I am going to try and teach the kids to make a sentence describing the color of an object. Ex. The hat is yellow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment