Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Early Mornings

"Some people associate Sunday morning with God. One of the things I associate with God is a sunrise." -Donald Miller, Through Painted Deserts
The entire time I have been here in Haiti I have not once set an alarm to wake up in the morning. I have just woken up at 5; it’s not because of the noise or the sun shining in my window; somehow I wake up to spend time with God before the day starts.
This morning I woke up and was grabbing my Bible and journal when there was a knock on my door. This is very unusual especially at 5am. The only other time they have had to knock was around 7am one day when we were going to church and I didn’t know it. I opened the door and there stood Carline ready to go to Mirebalais. I quickly put on my skirt, put my laptop in my bag, and followed her out the door.
Let me back up a few days… we usually leave for Mirebalais after church on Sunday. So I packed my bag Saturday night. But yesterday, November 18th, was a National Holiday. It was the anniversary of the Battle ofVertières, so there was no school. Sunday night Carline told me we would be going to Mirebalais around noon on Monday. Noon came and we couldn’t go because public transportation was taking the day off too. She didn’t tell me we would be leaving to get there before school started Tuesday morning but when I saw her at my door I knew.
As I was following her up the stairs, in the dark, to the street I thought about how I wouldn’t be starting my day reading the Bible and was worried how I could be ok. Then I thought, I get to see the sunrise! As we rode I worshiped God while watching the sunrise above the mountains and we got to Loving Hearts at 7am, an hour before school starts.
(Sorry I didn't take any pictures)



No comments:

Post a Comment