Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Worshiping Together


When the electricity comes on a night it is a celebration. The lights flicker once or twice and then stay on for several hours. We say, “Wé”, “Mesi, Jezi” and “Halleluiah.” Then we plug in our phones to charge and set up our chairs in front of the TV to see what is on for the night. But if it starts getting dark and the lights haven’t come on yet someone will get the oil lamp, light it, and set it on the table. Last night was one of those nights. We were sitting in the dining room with Ronika and Abed running around getting out energy before it was time for bed. Abed lifts his hands and says, “Halleluiah”. At least that’s what we think he says. He is only 16 months old. Asmene, his mom, starts singing “Broken Halleluiah”. Since it’s in English I join in, but neither of us know all the words so when we finish we look at Abed and he raises his hands and wants us to sing again. And again. And again.

As we were singing I was thinking how awesome it was to be worshiping God together. Because we are all God’s children. He doesn’t just love me because I came here. He doesn’t just love the ones who do all the right things and have all the right answers. He doesn’t just love the ones who have an eventful, redeeming story. He loves all of us. He loved us all before we did anything, before we had a story to tell. Sometimes having electricity can hinder these moments.  

Prayers: Because of your prayers I am able to sleep at night even though it is noisy, I am safe, I am healthy, I am learning Creole, I am willing and don't get too embarrassed when asked to do something out of my comfort zone, I am the closest I have ever been with God, and I have a desire to pray for others. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment