Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Right in my own backyard

Last week was really great! I had Spirit led conversations with the girls I meet with weekly. I can tell the difference of when I am just doing things because it is on my schedule to do and doing things with intentionality. Ashlen and I went to the Johnson County Cares meeting. It is a collaboration of the different organizations focusing on poverty and homelessness in Warrensburg. They just reopened the homeless shelter for the winter. Ashlen and I had an awesome opportunity to see how the different organizations in Warrensburg are working together and how we can be a part of it.



Yesterday I had the opportunity to go to First Haitian Baptist Church in Kansas City. I went with Anna, who has been to Haiti four times now, and Dia, Anna’s roommate who went for the first time at the beginning of January. We had a great time! The service was in French and English. When they asked for the visitors to stand, Anna introduced us in Creole and I think everyone was impressed. We went out to lunch after church with a couple and their three kids to a Haitian restaurant around the corner. It was delicious and the conversation was great! It was amazing to be welcomed into the Haitian community, while still being in America.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I had no idea there was a Haitian church in Kansas City! That's so neat! I'm also impressed that Anna introduced you in Creole. I'm so glad to read about all the involvement and eye-opening things you're seeing, pursuing, and experiencing. :)

    ReplyDelete