Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Saying Good-bye

I am getting on a plane tomorrow morning. I said good-bye to the kids in Mirebalais and they gave me pictures they drew. We had snacks and a party at Agape on Friday to say good-bye to the kids there. For my last time teaching all 25 of them crowded around me just like to first day of school, except this time they all knew the English words for the things I pointed to in the books. 

Some of the girls at church gave me hair clips. I said good-bye to the congregation and Martin translated for me. I told them how much I would miss them and how thankful I am for their kindness and generosity. The ladies from choir presenting me with a gift. I also received something from the youth group. This afternoon two of the guys from youth that I have become closest with, came over to say their good-byes. Martin and his family came over for dinner and we had a feast, including cake! 

This was under the best circumstances I could have had for being immersed in a culture. I had a month before school started to learn how things functioned around the house; like cooking and laundry. I was able to meet with some guys for language learning. Once school started I felt comfortable around the teachers because they were some of the ladies I lived with. I was able to understand the kids a little and not feel completely overwhelmed. I’m glad I was here for six months to see change take place. A couple of houses on my street were built. I was able to see Abed learn new things and Ronika become more comfortable playing with me.

Thank you for taking this journey with me. I know it was because of your prayers that I had such a successful time here. I will be speaking at a few Sunday school classes and churches when I return. If you are available to sit and talk for 5 minutes or 50 I would love to share more with you in person if it’s possible. I am certainly not done processing everything God had taught me here. I plan on still posting more about Haiti and what I am going to do with my life when I get back home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment