Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Back to Mirebalais


After church on Sunday we headed back to Mirebalais. LovingHearts orphanage and school is in Mirebalais, depending on traffic, about 2 hours north of Port-au-Prince. School started Monday with about 50 kids, including those from the community. We split up into two groups putting about 15 kids in the younger class. Carline and I taught the kids how to say Good Morning, how are you, I’m fine, what is your name, and my name is. The kids also learned the name of their school and about the five senses. In the older kids class we learned the English words for body parts and I taught the alphabet. I stood at the chalkboard and pointed to each letter as we said it. I felt like a real teacher.

After school, some of the girls decided to do my hair. They took turns combing and braiding different parts. We played hand clapping games. I’m slowing learning the words to the songs. Carline found some coloring pages for me to paint to decorate the house. I let the kids choose which color I painted each object. I learned that where I would choose a similar color to what I think the object should be, red for tree trunks for example if there was no brown, the kids just pick any color they like. We ended up with pick leaves and lime green hair and it was beautiful.  

Instead of Martin picking us up today to come back, Carline and I rode in public transportation. It was a 15 passenger van that runs back and forth between Mirebalais and Port-au-Prince. We were the first ones in the van but only had to wait about 45 minutes for it to be full, so that’s not long at all.

1 comment: