Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

We were created for God's glory, right?

Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.” Isaiah 43:7

If you have grown up in church you have heard the purpose we were created was to glorify God. But did anyone ever tell us what that really meant? I’ve started the Beth Moore Bible study Breaking Free. In it she presents glory like I have never thought about it before. First off, the Hebrew word for glory is kavodh meaning weight, honor, esteem. So Beth says this means, “God’s glory is the way He makes Himself known or shows Himself mighty… God’s glory is how He shows who he is.” Moving on to the Greek, the word glory is doxa meaning the true apprehension of God or things. “Giving glory to God is ascribing to him full recognition.” Through this I have been shown that we weren’t created to give God glory, we were created to be His glory. It’s not what we do to show His glory to others, it’s about who we are that shows others His glory.


For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and external weight of glory; while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.” 2 Cor. 4:17-18

I read a blog recently that looked at the use of the word glory in these verses. This light momentary affliction is preparing us for the glory of bearing it through til the end. Finishing without comparison, because there is no comparison in heaven—we will be all too enamored with the King of Kings to consider our neighbor. Paul is trying to get us to understand that those of us who are going through experiences in deeper and more painful ways are being prepared for a greater glory we can't compare.  


I don’t know if any of this has made any sense. I have just had some pretty cool revelations lately I wanted to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment