Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Q & A


Some questions you might be interested in learning the answers to…

When will you be in Haiti?
Since I will be helping mostly at the school they would like me there before the school year starts, so the end of August sometime. I am looking at a 3 -6 month apprenticeship. It is stated that way, in case I decide to stop at 3 months or want to continue it as long as six months.


What language do they speak in Haiti?
The two official languages are French and Creole. The pastor I will be working with knows English and the woman I will be living with knows some English. A couple hours each week I will hopefully be taught Creole. The youth at the church are excited to learn English from me as well.

Will you have electricity/running water/internet?
I will have electricity and running water. I won’t have internet in the house I will be living in but I will have access to it during my stay. So I will be able to send updates and talk with people back home! Please don’t try to mail anything. Going through the Haiti mail system your package will probably not reach me.


Who is New Mission Systems International?
A Christian mission sending agency http://www.nmsi.org/who_we_are/about_nmsi/


Are you scared/nervous/excited?
Yes. All of the above and more. I am scared because of the uncertainty but I am at peace with the direction I am headed because I have hope. Timothy Keller defines biblical hope as life-shaping joyous certainty that your future is the eternal love and glory of God in a new heaven and a new earth.  


How much money do you need to raise and what will it be spent on?
Apartment $100/mo

Food $300/mo

Drinking water $25/mo

Transpotation $30/mo

Laundry $30/mo

Spending money (whatever you'd like here, $200 USD of you can)

Medical Insurance (already covered with the provider I have now!)

Internet $30/mo

NMSI Pre Field Orientation $220 (at the end of May in Fort Myers, FL)

NMSI team share (NMSI collects 10% of your total budget for NMSI administrative frees.)

Airfare

That comes to around $6,000 for six months

No comments:

Post a Comment