Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

What now?

               Last semester during vision week you may remember me mentioning that we went through Storyline by Donald Miller. The first step in understanding your story is knowing your theme. To figure out your theme you look at the major events in your life and the one thing that they have in common. My theme is, to have faith in the next step because God knows I am not yet prepared for the step after that.  
                The next step for me is to take an apprenticeship with New Mission Systems International (NMSI). I will be living in Port-au-Prince, Haiti for 3-6 months. Apprenticeship means that I will have the opportunity to do many things to see what I like, what I’m good at, and where they need me.
                I’ve been asking many questions to help myself process through the next step. Usually someone in my stage of life would be asking questions like: When do I get to find the right guy and get married? How many kids will we have? What good paying job can I get to always have a steady income so my family and I are always happy? What is God’s plan for my life? Those aren’t bad questions but I’ve started asking a different set of questions: How do I advance the kingdom of God? Where do I need to share God’s love? And more specifically, why am I leaving? And why Haiti?
Two quotes, both by Mike Yaconelli, that have been helpful as I thought over these questions have been:
“Once we understand how unnecessary we are, only then might we find the right reasons to say yes.”
“We don’t need to know the will of God; we only need to know God, which is, strangely enough, His will.”
                Some answers I have come to are; because I love Haitians and I love the creation of Haiti, I want to learn where I best fit in serving in another country, I want to have to trust God, I want to show them someone is listening, and eventually I want to be a part of bringing housing to those in need.  
                As an apprentice I need to raise the money for my time abroad. I do not have exact numbers yet but the estimate is less than $1,000 a month. If I am there for the maximum of six months then I need to raise $6,000. This will be a little different than my internship now. I will need to be fully funded before I can go to Haiti. This amount pays for my travel to and around Haiti, food, and lodging. I will be staying with a missionary and his family across the street from the church they run. I will primarily be working at their church alongside them. A question I would ask you to consider is, do you believe in what I am doing?


You can donate online at www.nmsi.org/donate and click on the D for David, Megan.
Or you can send in donations to:
New Mission Systems International
2701 CLEVELAND AVE SUITE 200,
FORT MYERS, FL 33901
Please remember to put my name in the memo.
 NMSI honors preference of gifts solicited and, in accordance with IRS regulations, retains discretion and control over their use.

No comments:

Post a Comment